Easter Bunny – drive by and wave!
Iles Park Easter Bunny Makes the News!
In a letter to the editor, Kathryn Dauksza of Springfield wrote in the 4/16/2020 Illinois Times:
Last week, the coronavirus spirit serendipitously brought me in contact with the Drew family while driving through the Iles Park neighborhood in Springfield. Their lawn was covered with pastel Easter eggs and a sign that read “Happy Spring.” I smiled and stopped my car for a quick picture. I noticed Mrs. Drew on the front lawn and we began a 20-foot socially distant discussion about their role of sharing Easter joy, sponsored by the Iles Park Neighborhood Association. For the past five years, they have traditionally hosted pictures with the neighborhood association families and the Easter bunny on the Saturday before Easter. This year, the bunny would only wave as the families drove by.
Our collective creativity sparked when we realized the potential joy available to the community if the Easter bunny could ride through the neighborhood in the back seat of my convertible. We air-bumped in solidarity and agreement to be partners in joy at high noon the day of the big-eared event.
Read the full story at the Illinois Times…
The Easter Bunny will be at 1917 S. 4th Street on Saturday April 11 from 10am to NOON. Please DRIVE BY (don’t stop!) and wave.
Due to the coronavirus, we have some event changes for the neighborhood:
- The April 6 meeting is canceled.
- The Ward 6 cleanup is canceled.
- More information on City of Springfield yard waste, branch pickups, hazardous waste pickup is below.
Stay safe and flatten the curve!
Springfield Yard Waste, Branch Pickup, Large Item Pickup, Clean Your Inlets
Download the City’s flyer…
Yard Waste / Leaf Pickup begins April 6
The program will operate for a year, during which stickers will NOT be required. The program is run by the city’s contractor, Republic Services.
- Must be placed curbside – no alley pickup.
- Paper yard waste/leaf bags or hard rigid plastic containers.
- Plastic containers must be clearly marked with “Yard Waste” or “YW”.
- Containers cannot be more than 30 gallons and weigh no more than 50 pounds.
- Only include grass clippings, leaves, weeds, plant trimmings and/or small twigs and branches.
- Smaller branches and twigs may be broken up and treated as yard waste.
- NO plastic bags or contamination: food, rocks, dirt, large branches, flower pots/trays, animal droppings and street waste. If contaminants are found, yard waste will not be collected.
Iles Park is in the South Zone
Crews will alternate every other week in each “zone”. Crews work from west (earlier in the week) to east (later in the week).
South Zone: south of South Grand Avenue and Old Jacksonville Road, including residential properties around the lake
North Zone: north of South Grand Avenue and Old Jacksonville Road
Map & Pickup Schedule
Yard Waste Alternatives
- Evans Recycling:
- April 6 to Saturday May 9, residents can drop off their yard waste bags for free.
- After Saturday, May 9, drop off will cost $1 per bag.
- 2100 J. David Jones Parkway
- Monday – Friday 7am – 5pm
- Saturdays 7am – noon
- Mulching leaves and grass
- Consider mulching your leaves and grass as you maintain your lawns.
All other inquiries, please contact Public Works at 217.789.2255 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
BRANCH PICKUP to be announced end of April
The City’s Branch Pickup program is separate from the yard waste program. Due to COVID-19, the spring branch pickup will begin at a later date and will be announced at the end of April. Branch pick up is operated by the City of Springfield’s Public Works crews. Smaller branches and twigs may be broken up and treated as yard waste.
LARGE ITEM PICKUP
Eligible Springfield residents get free residential curbside pickup of up to 6 items per calendar year. PICKUPS MUST BE SCHEDULED! Call Habitat for Humanity 217.523.2710 or online at https://habitatsangamon.vonigo.com/external/?0.853908371597097#0.04383381245857276 DO NOT place items curbside until the day before your scheduled pickup!
Pick up can be divided into:
- – 2 transactions of 3 items each pickup
- OR – 1 pick up of up 6 items
CLEAN OUT STORM SEWER INLETS
Clogged storm sewer Inlets cause street flooding. Please help by raking clear the inlets near your home. Don’t leave the gunk in the street to get swept right back into the inlet. Sweeping leaves and yard waste into the street is a violation and contributes to flooding.
SPRING HAZARDOUS WASTE DROP-OFF CANCELED
The city will plan a hazardous waste drop-off for the fall.